South Korea, US commence military drills amid nuclear threat from North

South Korea and United States started their annual military drills, the Ulchi Freedom Guardian exercise. The exercise will last until August 29.

South Korean Defense Ministry said this year’s military drills will include simulation of response to nuclear attack for the first time between US and South Korea. US and SoKor military will use a strategy made last year at annual South Korea-US defense meeting.

On the contrary, North Korea reiterates its threat that if US and SoKor continue with Ulchi Freedom Guardian they will be forced to launch an attack. “Considering the characteristic, content, period, size and arms used for the exercise, the joint Seoul-Washington drills are a war practice aiming at a pre-emptive attack. It has put the Korean Peninsula to the worst state ever in history,” a North Korean News agency said.

“If the U.S. imperialists threaten our sovereignty and survival – our troops will fire our nuclear-armed rockets at the White House and the Pentagon — the sources of all evil,” said Hwang Pyong-So, director of the North Korean military’s General Political Bureau.

Amid the threat, a high ranking South Korean military official said, “If the North commits a provocative act, we would retaliate strongly.” As reported by AFP news agency.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.