Royal Sulu Army trying to resume invasion in Sabah

Remaining supporters of the late Sulu Sultan Jamalul Kiram III in Sabah are believed to be trying to resume operations. It can be remembered that supporters of the sultanate, Royal Sulu Army, tried to take over Sabah resulting to lethal encounters with Malaysian government forces February of last year.

“They are mainly in the east-coast areas, such as Semporna and Lahad Datu,” Sabah Police Commissioner Datuk Jalaluddin Abdul Rahman said in a monthly police meeting in Sabah.

Eastern Sabah Security Command and a special police task force are conducting clean up operations against the Royal Sulu Army and its supporters.

Two allegedly RSA members were killed in a shoot out last October 30 in the town of Penampang Baru. Sabah Police Commissioner said they were posing as Malaysians with falsified identification cards. He added that RSA has been raising funds through robberies and kidnappings.

“They have links to the kidnap-for-ransom group led by the notorious Muktadir brothers,” Jalaluddin noted.

Malaysian government chose not to divulge further details on the current operations. Current number of Royal Sulu Army members in Sabah was not disclosed.