“We will continue law enforcement operations. There is pressure to produce results,” Armed Force of the Philippines spokesperson Lieutenant Colonel Harold Cabunoc said. “One of the focus of the chief of staff right now is to turn around the image of Sulu from being the ‘Kidnap Capital in the Philippines’ into one of the most developed provinces.”
President Benigno Aquino III previously told reporters that the Filipino people can expect significant accomplishments against the Abu Sayyaf.
Yesterday, Saturday, firefight between military and the terror group started. According to AFP, at least 60 Abu Sayyaf members were involved in the ground clash. The military also launched airstrikes using MG520 light attack helicopters.
“As soon as we confirmed their presence in the area and got all the details needed, an air strike was launched early yesterday with our MG520 attack helicopters dropping high explosive ordnance munitions on the bandits’ locations at about 7 a.m.” commander of the Joint Task Group Sulu Col. Allan Arrojado said.
Last week, Defense Secretary Voltaire Gazmin said while in Sulu, “I am here because the President wants to know the status of operations here in Sulu. We have new troops all the way from Luzon and others from Lanao province. They are still in the period of adjustment. We’re checking how we can better support the operations.”