Retired generals who are allegedly supporters of former President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo are allegedly plotting a destabilization against the government, Senator Antonio Trillanes IV told GMA News TV on Tuesday. However, Trillanes noted that any plan against President Aquino’s government will not prosper.
Atty. Ferdinand Topacio said, speaking in behalf of Arroyo said “Senator Trillanes does not have any idea of what he is talking about. He does not know the first thing about coup d’etat. The so-called coup he planned and participated in were lousy and ended miserably for him with his tail behind his legs. He does not know whereof he speaks.”
On Wednesday July 30 a report that military convoy plied the street of EDSA. This regular logistics run (as per Philippine Army), was associated by some to the said destabilization plot.
An online comment said, “Don’t alarm the people. These movements of military vehicles coming to and from Metro Manila are normal.”
Another one said, “I fervently believe this coup rumor will remain a rumor because it is only in Pnoy’s administration that the army has been upgraded or modernized. Basically, the reason why Palace is confident that there will be no destabilization plot. Pnoy has been adding frigates and jet aircrafts and anyone following these news about the modernization program will be proud about what the administration has accomplished so far.”
Armed Forces public information chief Lt. Col. Ramon Zagala confirmed “There is no recruitment nor any move within the active service to do such [destabilization activitiy].” He added that retired generals have regained freedom of speech against the government and conduct rallies upon retiring. “But as far as destabilization within the ranks of the AFP, there is none. Now, if the retired [generals] wish to speak against the government or conduct rallies, that is inherent in our Bill of Rights. We have no control over them.”
The AFP remains apolitical and is in high level of professionalism, Zagala confirmed. New AFP chief Lieutenant General Gregorio Pio Catapang last week guaranteed that no military personnel would join any military adventurism against President Aquino.